Facebook latest statistics put the over all user base at 1.65 billion monthly active users (MAU) with an average 1.09 billion daily active users (DAU). Out of which 1.51 billion MAU and 989 million DAU access Facebook thru a mobile device.
Not using the available mobile ad units to advertise your business is costing you potential leads, customers and revenue. Out of the available mobile ad units one of the newest and dare I say coolest is Canvas Ads which provide and immersive experience for your brand. You can think of Canvas Ads as mini mobile websites where you can combine images, video, text and calls to action in one place and specific to a product or offer.
Read on for a step by step guide to crafting your first Canvas Ad.
Goto your “Business Manager” (If you don’t have Business Manager set up see our walk thru [here], I definitely recommend setting it up as it is the easiest place to manage your business pages and ad accounts and advertising )
Click on the ad account you want to use.
Click on “Power Editor” (chrome browser required)
In Power Editor
Click on “Create Campaign”
Enter or choose a campaign name buying type and ad goal.
Enter your ad set name and ad name
You will now see a page similar to the one below.
Here you can set the spending limit at the campaign level.
Click on the Ad Set Tab
On this page you can set you budget, schedule, audience, placement (canvas ads will default to mobile devices only for now) optimization, pricing and advance delivery options.
Click on the Ads tab
Choose Ad with image or video
Next choose Canvas
After choosing Canvas it will ask you to “Select a Canvas” any canvas ads you make or have made will be available here.
Click the “+” sign to create a new ad.
Creating Your Canvas Ad
Name your Canvas
Select a Theme This will create an overall colour theme for your Canvas. We recommend using custom and choosing a colour that aligns with your brand.
There will be three suggested components a Header, Photo and Button component. You can move or delete these using the arrow buttons on the top right of each component.
Select the Photo and choose the image scale.
- Fit to height will allow you to upload wide images where the end user can tilt and pan their phone to see the rest of the image. [example]
Enter the URL or website of where you want the visitor to go if they click on the image.
You can move the elements up or down using the arrows or if you don’t need the element you can delete it.
Add A Button with a Call-To-Action
Add the URL where you want the button to go.
Next adjust the button styling and setting to match your brand.
In the Preview window on the right your can see how your ad will look and you can save to draft and send yourself a link to preview it on your mobile device.
- Note – Save your drafts frequently. If you click Finish and accept you will not be able to edit your canvas later.
If you need addition components or elements click the + Add Component at the bottom and move the component you added to the position you would like it to be.
Available Components and Design Requirements
- Image size: 66 pixels (maximum height) x 882 pixels (maximum width)
- File type: transparent .png
- Headers remain pinned at the top of the screen. If you don’t want this behavior, you can instead use an image or text element instead of a header
Text Block Component
- 500 characters max
- Font size: 6 point up to 72 point
- Font color: #rrggbb
- Font style: Bold, italic or underlined (must be applied to the entire text block, not individual words)
- Font alignment: Left, center or right
- Options: Serif or Sans Serif
Carousel component (2 to 10 images allowed)
- Image ratio: Images can be full or partial height, but all images should be the same size
- Image Size: 1,080 pixels (maximum width) x 1,920 pixels (maximum height)
- File type: .png or .jpg
- 10 images per carousel max
- Video: Minimum resolution of 720p
- Orientation: Portrait orientation is recommended, and it’s also recommended that you not make videos full screen. Note: Landscape orientation videos will automatically resize themselves to play in portrait. This causes them to shrink and have black bars on either side
- Length: You can have multiple videos in your Canvas, but their collective run time can’t exceed 2 minutes
- Format: .mp4 or .mov
- Thumbnail: This will be the first frame of the video
- Height: 48 pixels with 48 pixels of padding above and below
- Text: 30 characters max
- Options: Serif or Sans Serif
- Image ratio: Images use the full width of the screen by default
- Image size: A full width image is 1,080 pixels, but you can use wider images if you select the fit to height (tilt to pan) display option. A full-height image is 1,920 pixels high, but you can use a taller image if you select the fit to width (tap to expand) display option
- File type: .png, .jpg
- Up to 20 photos can be used in a Canvas
Product Set Component
If you are a business that has Product Catalogs built within Business Manager you may have the option of a Product Catalog component which will allow you to display up to 40 products.
- Advertisers must have uploaded a product catalog
- The unified pixel needs to be set up correctly, since Canvas dynamically displays the best performing products. Currently, advertisers cannot choose the ordering of how items appear.
- Up to 40 products can be displayed
I’ve turned the first half of this Post into a Canvas ad you can see in the video below.[CALL TO ACTION]